Online Therapy for Expats and Others Living Around the World
I´m a psychologist, with a master’s degree and PhD in Clinical and Health Psychology, with over a decade of experience in the mental health field. I’m originally from Seattle, Washington, USA and I lived in Madrid, Spain for 7 years before moving to Amsterdam, Netherlands.
My international training and experience working with clients from around the world, along with my own experience of living abroad, puts me in a unique opportunity to work with clients from a variety of different backgrounds.
The majority of my clients include individuals living outside of their home country, such as expats, digital nomads, frequent travelers, third culture kids, etc. Although some of the issues we work on are specific to this population (cultural adjustment, homesickness, repatriation/reverse culture shock, etc.), many of the topics we address in therapy are more general mental health issues such as:
- panic attacks
- eating disorders and body image
- self esteem
- improving communication skills
- emotion regulation
- healing from the end to a romantic relationship
- goal setting
- learning how to start a mindfulness practice
- stress management
- personal development
While some people are hesitant to try online therapy, I have worked with numerous individuals who have found it to be just as effective as in-person therapy.
Online therapy is ideal for:
- Anyone who lives in a location where in-person sessions with an English speaking therapist are not available (such as expats and location independent professionals around the world)
- People who are planning to move abroad and who would like help in improving their emotional resiliency, mental health and well-being to be prepared for the process
- Anyone who has returned from living abroad and and is experiencing the challenges associated with the repatriation process (a.k.a ¨reverse culture shock”)
- People who are in need of a professional specializing in the treatment of eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, EDNOS), and are unable to find one in their local area. I have received specialized training in the treatment of eating disorders and am currently a member of the Academy of Eating Disorders.
- Professionals who travel frequently and are unable to attend regular in-person sessions
- People living in Madrid who would like to work with a therapist who knows firsthand the challenges that come with living in this particular city and culture.
I have experience providing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). I also frequently incorporate mindfulness and self-compassion into therapy. One of the first things we´ll work on in sessions is to help you to establish your therapy goals and to ensure that the treatment plan meets your individual needs and preferences.
Have questions? Want to set up a session?
In order to get the most out of therapy, it’s very important to work with a psychologist that you feel comfortable with. For this reason, I offer a complimentary 15 minute consultation so that you can get an idea of whether or not I might be a good fit for you as a therapist. You can also use this time to ask me any questions you might have about online therapy, my approach and experience or about your specific concerns.
If you’d like to set up this complimentary session or to ask me any questions you might have, please send me a message through this contact form or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org